Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Endurance Corner Boulder Camp - Day 1 & 2

Days 1&2 of the Endurance Corner Boulder Camp are in the books.  After driving to Boulder on Sunday and meeting up with Arch Fuston, my good friend and training partner for the week it was off to Gordo's house to meet up with the other campers.  Couple of familar faces from last summer's camp as well as many others.  Real mix of ages, abilities and experience levels though I am certainly pushing the experience level and age averages higher.  We all had the opportunity to listen to a wonderful presentation by IM World Champion Chrissie Wellington.  I thought I liked her before but after listening to her speak and then sitting near her at the dining room table I like her even more!

Monday's main event was a ride from Boulder up to Ward then down to Lyons and back to Boulder.  This is a very common local ride here but for the athletes coming from the coast (Arch) or the flat (me) it presented plenty of challenges and great views.  Very glad I changed to a larger rear cassette during the last mile of the climb and really enjoyed riding the Cervelo.  One of the highlights was descending down Hwy 7 at the back of a 12 rider pace line at 45 mph - big fun!  Total ride was 58 miles with 5967' of elevation gain topping out at 9303'.
In the evening we again gathered at Gordo's for another great presentation, this time by running coach Bobby McGee.  Bobby was one of the highlights for me from last year and he was awesome again.  His discussion of good running form (as well as a lot of other topics) was very enlightening and I took lots of notes.

No comments: