Saturday, December 20, 2008

"When Do I Start?"

To quote the Grinch (with a three year old in the house we have been watching a bunch lately). "Christmas is coming, it's practically here!" Once the Holidays are over the next thing most people start doing is planning New Years Resolutions and plans. Triathletes especially start thinking (if they haven't already) about race schedules and training. The health clubs and spin classes are always crammed full in early January as everyone starts to crank it up again.
I have recently had athletes (clients and others) ask me "When should I start?" It is a good question and there are a lot of variables to factor in before the correct answer can be determined.
BUT, as I sit here on a Saturday morning calculating the Annual Training Plans for a number of athletes that have targeted Kansas 70.3 as their first "A" race of the season I have realized that the "correct" time to start training for that event, if you want to follow the protocol established by Joe Friel in the Triathlete's Training Bible, is Dec 29th.

Happy Holidays.

No comments: